Shifting Sands is a growing network of fringe thinkers, futurists, innovators and leaders from around the globe. It is a shared journey exploring how humanitarians can navigate deeply uncertain times.
By collaborating to interrogate complex systems and possible futures, we believe we can all make better decisions today.
Together, we will help the IFRC network grow in confidence with strategic foresight and innovation so we can prepare for the challenges that will shape our world.
Many actions will help us achieve this goal. We know many things are already happening in the humanitarian sector and beyond, and by working, sharing and acting together, we know we can achieve more.
We are working for better:
- Decision-making by sharing, learning and working together
- Sharing of locally-sourced ideas and initiatives with global implications
- Connections with fringe thinking and ground-breaking experimentation
- Spotting, understanding and sharing of emerging trends
- Spaces to explore and map future scenarios
- Relationships with other organisations examining these issues, and with each other
- Use of the insights derived from this work to shape policy, practice and strategy today
It connects experts with staff, volunteers and leaders from the IFRC network who are wrestling with real strategic decisions.
Learn about how interrogating possible futures can help can sharpen our analysis of a shifting world.
Read thought pieces, use new tools and join the discussion so that we can always help those in greatest need.
The Global Council
The Council on the Future of Humanitarian Action is the catalyst for our global ambition.A diverse group of founders are helping sharpen our vision as we explore new options for humanitarian action.
Share your ideas
We are here to make understanding and acting in a changing world easier for you and your team. We are developing tools, content and connections which will help us all.
We want to hear from you. If you are pushing the boundaries, experimenting with new ways of working, or testing ideas which you believe will help people in the future, get in touch.Together, we will create opportunities to learn from each other and develop shared infrastructure that helps everyone.